Sunday, March 17, 2013

03 - Researching plugins

So more about researching sound, manipulating sounds, new ideas, hardware, software. I don't really know how all this happened, I think it is just a need or a want to have a good overall sound. Create something fresh and unique. After looking into iphone apps, then protools plugins, then I became interested in hardware, something with a lot of knobs, sliders, pads, buttons that I can either run samples through or just tweak existing sounds. After a bit of research I found that all the old analogue stuff is way expensive and so far I can't see anything modern that isn't flashing light sampler loop things. I was also inspired but the ableton push but i'm not sure if thats what I want.

So after not finding the hardware that I wanted I then went back into looking at software plugins... I found a pretty decent synth oscillator which I can run .wav files through and tweak with all sorts of dials etc... I also started the morning experimenting with a rig of hardware that I do have, I ran my iphone with sampler wiz > boss loop station > distortion pedal > wah wah pedal... was interesting, although after a few attempts I found myself returning to the loop 'slicer' effect and was getting a bit repetitive....

Anyways, see what happens...

Peace!

* All started by watching this youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtaI8hqZzi0
I wanted to figure out how he assigned sounds to the pads. Researching this was what triggered the rest of the research.